According to the U.S. News & World Report, 6.3 million college students are finding that online is the easiest way to finish their bachelor’s. Online course content isn’t necessarily simplified, but the 24/7 access makes study the most convenient. Plus, online learners can skip dealing with large lecture halls, campus moves, homesickness, and dorm drama. You still benefit from the average 16 percent bachelor’s ROI reported by The Hamilton Project in wholly Web-based courses. Picking certain majors can make virtual learning environments even easier. Traditionally, subjects in the arts, humanities, and social sciences are less intensive than STEM majors. Inside Higher Ed gives evidence that science, technology, engineering, and math programs are harder with the whopping dropout rate of 48 percent. Selecting the 30 Easiest Bachelor’s Degrees Online increases your chance of graduating.
We started on the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) site reviewing the most popular majors among the 1.9 million bachelor’s earned in 2016. Next, we eliminated STEM degrees known for their complex formulas and rigorous research. We accessed sample online curricula for non-technical majors to judge which had the most ease. Degrees had to have little or no lab and project courses. Our team consulted PrepScholar to see which majors had the highest median GPAs near 3.0 or better. Preference was also given to the most meaningful majors listed by PayScale with salary potential around the average $48,642. Our final step was to locate accredited distance colleges awarding each of the following 30 Easiest Bachelor’s Degrees Online in four years or less.
1. Liberal Arts
Liberal arts is well-rounded, generalist education rooted in the classical trivium. Majors skim through easy, flexible liberal arts courses from rhetoric to literature and philosophy. Online liberal arts bachelor’s develop Forbes’ most in-demand “soft” skills for wide-ranging jobs, such as sales consultant, realtor, intelligence analyst, and paralegal.
• Excelsior College– Bachelor’s in Liberal Arts Online
• Colorado State University– Online B.A. in Liberal Arts
• Antioch University– Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) Online
2. Interdisciplinary Studies
Interdisciplinary studies is a customized major offering two or more concentrations. Online undergrads can get up to 90 transfer credits accepted before choosing the easiest courses based on their unique strengths. Career paths, including office manager, economist, librarian, and copy editor, are limitless after the individualized curriculum.
• Stevenson University– Online B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies
• Nicholls State University– Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies Online
• Norwich University– Online Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies
Communications majors simply examine how humans exchange information orally or non-verbally. Already eloquent wordsmiths will likely find taking courses on grammar, debate, and persuasion facile. A communications background is marketable for media strategists, journalists, news producers, publicists, radio hosts, and more.
• University of Colorado Denver– BA in Communication Online
• Lamar University– Online Bachelor of Science in Communication
• California Baptist University– BA in Communication Studies Online
Religion bachelor’s study the theology of sacred belief systems followed by nearly 5 billion people worldwide. Students spend their time reading the Scriptures of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and others to draw moral conclusions. Majoring in religion builds Church careers like priest, pastoral counselor, chaplain, and Bible teacher.
• Andrews University– Online Bachelor of Arts in Religion
• Athens State University– B.A. in Religion Online
• Luther Rice College & Seminary– Online Religion BA
5. Women’s Studies
Women’s studies is an easy social science major for discussing how gender roles impact half of the globe’s population. Both ladies and gents learn about the societal injustices that sparked the feminist movement. Choosing WS courses is suitable for future activists, nonprofit directors, health educators, union organizers, and policy aides.
• Oregon State University – Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies B.A. Online
• University of Massachusetts Dartmouth– Online BA in Women’s and Gender Studies
• Florida International University– BA in Women’s and Gender Studies Online
6. Human Services
Human services programs have strived to improve individual and community well-being since the 1950s. Kind, compassionate undergrads learn about people’s basic needs to help diverse vulnerable populations. Common job titles include addiction counselor, probation officer, child welfare worker, vocational specialist, and case manager.
• Drury University– Online Bachelor of Science in Human Services
• University of Arizona– Human Services B.A.S. Online
7. Film Studies
Film studies is an easy, artistic bachelor’s focused on the cinematic methods used to create Hollywood blockbusters. Movie buffs will enjoy plenty of binge-watching to observe the thoughts and emotions behind award-winning scenes. Mastering film helps tomorrow’s actors, directors, camera operators, screenwriters, and set designers.
• Full Sail University– Bachelor of Science in Film Online
• Arizona State University– Online B.A. in Film & Media Studies
• Grand Canyon University– Bachelor of Arts in Digital Film Online
Ministry degrees are abundant at ABHE-accredited colleges to follow Christ’s example. This major is more spiritual than academic for faithful laity to easily prepare for thoughtful service. Though ordination requires a graduate degree, majors could excel as youth pastors, worship directors, religious ed teachers, and missionaries.
• Eastern University– Online BA in Youth Ministry Leadership
• Regent University– Bachelor of Arts in Christian Ministry Online
• Moody Bible College– Online B.S. in Ministry Leadership
Education majors analyze how the brain learns to develop pedagogical strategies for PK-16 classrooms. Online education bachelor’s usually let students interact with kids in student-teaching, but non-licensure tracks might skip practicum entirely. Potential jobs include teacher, tutor, Head Start director, nanny, campus counselor, and coach.
• University of Georgia– B.S. in Special Education Online
• Drexel University– Online Bachelor of Science in Education
• Western Governors University– Elementary Education B.A. Online
Sociology steers clear of hard sciences to answer questions about human culture and interaction. Majors make the world their lab to easily observe people’s behaviors in various social situations. Knowledge of society could help springboard into jobs like city planner, market research analyst, labor relations specialist, and pollster.
• Southern New Hampshire University– Online BA in Sociology
• North Dakota State University– B.S. in Sociology Online
• University of Nebraska– Online Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
English majors maintain an average 3.3 GPA while studying the literary composition of works from Tolstoy to Tolkien. Four years of high school English have already given you the reading and writing skills to continue analyzing texts. Being proficient in the #1 most widely spoken language helps authors, proofreaders, content marketers, and more.
• American Public University– B.A. in English Online
• King University– Online Bachelor of Arts in English
• Thomas Edison State University– BA in English Online
12. Public Relations
Public relations bachelor’s instill the promotional tactics to create pleasing personal or corporate brands in the media spotlight. Social butterflies find PR courses on speeches, press releases, and advertisements both exciting and easy. Graduates are often PR specialists, spokespeople, social media managers, campaign directors, and account execs.
• Franklin University– Online B.S. in Public Relations
• University of Florida– Bachelor of Science in PR Online
• Geneva College– Online Bachelor of Public Relations
Music programs tune into the performance of choral or instrumental sound for acoustical aesthetics. Harmonizing note readers who’ve taken music lessons before will sing through their study from Mozart to Madonna. Likely jobs, such as composer, conductor, singer, recording executive, and vocal coach, might be music to your ears.
• Berklee College– BPS in Music Production Online
• Valley City State University– Online B.A. in Music
• University of West Georgia– Bachelor of Music Online
14. Criminal Justice
Criminal justice majors learn the law enforcement system for targeting, arresting, and punishing offenders. Unlike tough law degrees, these easy online options focus more on the causes and responses to crime than tricky judicial codes. Securing jobs like police officer, prison guard, court reporter, private investigator, and bailiff is possible.
• Washington State University– Online Criminal Justice BA
• Strayer University– Bachelor of Criminal Justice Online
• University of Cincinnati– Online B.S. in Criminal Justice
History is another easy humanities major focused on surveying the past to learn cultural and political trends. It’s ideal for bookworms who prefer memorizing concentrate, unchanging facts from ancient to modern times. Studying earlier periods would suit aspiring curators, teachers, archivists, art historians, preservationists, and tour guides.
• University of Illinois Springfield– History BA Online
• National University– Online Bachelor of Arts in History
• University of Memphis– Bachelor of Arts in History Online
16. Child Development
Child development degrees teach the growth milestones that youth reach from the womb to adulthood at age 18. Majors only need basic biology courses because kids’ emotions, family relations, and social interactions are also studied. Employment tracks include parent educator, child life specialist, daycare administrator, and adoption worker.
• Concordia University St. Paul– Online B.A. in Child Development
• Ashford University– Bachelor of Arts in Child Development Online
• Central Michigan University– Online B.S. in Early Childhood Development
17. Fine Arts
Fine arts can be a stress-free bachelor’s for creative minds because there are few tests and no wrong answers. Online students use their home studios to create portfolios of artworks from impressionist to cubist styles based on their passions. Artists won’t be starving as animators, graphic designers, illustrators, photographers, and more.
• Academy of Art University– Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) Online
• Savannah School of Art & Design– Online B.A. in Sequential Art
• Lindenwood University– Bachelor of Arts in Digital Art Online
18. General Business
General business is among the easiest B-school majors for broad introduction to the market without hefty finance and law courses. Around 364,000 U.S. undergrads finish studying the inner workings of organizations each year. It’s perfect for careers like project manager, auditor, insurance sales agent, fundraiser, and compliance officer.
• New England College– Online Bachelor’s in General Business
• University of Phoenix– B.S. in General Business Management Online
• Kansas State University– Online General Business B.S.
Psychology is a popular, versatile major that evaluates connections between the brain, body, and behavior. One statistics course is required, but most others just involve reading and testing theories on people’s thought patterns. Getting into the mind would interest future psychiatric aides, therapists, victims advocates, and diversity officers.
• Capella University– Bachelor of Science in Psychology Online
• CUNY School of Professional Studies– Online BA in Psychology
• Maryville University– Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology Online
20. Sports Management
Sports management programs teach basic business to equip teams of undergrads for hitting homeruns in this exciting $73.5 billion industry. Online courses won’t be all fun and games, but they’ll be pretty easy to avid sports fans. SPM majors score job offers like arena manager, athletics administrator, contract analyst, agent, and fitness director.
• Central Methodist University– Online Sports Management Major (B.S.)
• Wilmington University– Bachelor of Science in Sports Management Online
• University of Iowa– Online B.S. in Sport and Recreation Management
Nutrition is a public health major focused on nourishing energized bodies the right foods and vitamins. Picking this practical bachelor’s will involve a few STEM courses like chemistry, but some content is “common sense.” Online nutrition tracks feed careers for dietitians, chefs, food technologists, eating disorder counselors, and trainers.
• University of Alabama– BS in Food and Nutrition Online
• Purdue University Global– Online Bachelor of Science in Nutrition
• Texas Woman’s University– B.S. in Nutritional Sciences Online
22. International Affairs
International affairs is a peacekeeping liberal arts major focused on studying the world’s governance across borders. The seminar-style classes involve more debates and short essays than tests, in addition to fun travel opportunities abroad. A global mindset helps diplomats, military officers, NGO directors, refugee specialists, and economists.
• Penn State University– Online B.A. in International Politics
• University of Central Florida– International & Global Studies B.A.
• Schiller International University– Online BA in International Relations
Spanish majors say “¡Hola!” to Babbel’s #3 easiest foreign tongue for English speakers to master. You’ll learn the vocab and grammar rules of this widely spoken Romance language along with the Iberian Peninsula’s lively culture. Spanish speakers could excel as translators, airport personnel, immigration officers, reporters, and ESL teachers.
• Mercy College– Bachelor of Arts in Spanish Online
• Northern State University– Online Spanish (BA) Major
• Concordia University Wisconsin– B.A. in Spanish Online
24. Creative Writing
Creative writing is a subjective literature major that unleashes the imagination for publishing entertaining fiction. Following J.K. Rowling’s and James Patterson’s footsteps will substitute complex equations for freeing poems and prose. Great job options include novelist, art director, lexicographer, songwriter, SEO specialist, and literary agent.
• UMass Amherst– Online Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing
• Missouri State University– B.S. in Professional Writing Online
• Central Washington University– Online Creative Writing B.A.
Marketing is a business niche centered on the consumer selling tactics to draw big profits. This major easily boils down to four Ps (product, price, promotion, and place) with very little math work and more applied projects than exams. Compelling media skills help eCommerce specialists, sales reps, web producers, brand managers, and more.
• Walsh University– BBA Specialization in Marketing Online
• Judson University– Online Administration B.A. in Marketing
• Post University– Bachelor of Science in Marketing Online
26. Public Administration
Public administration focuses on the formation of good government policy to run thriving cities, states, and nations. The simple, flexible major informs civil servants of social issues with more political theory than complicated data. Typical job titles are legislator, public interest advocate, mayor, county commissioner, city manager, and senator.
• Colorado Technical University– Online B.S. in Public Administration
• Kentucky State University– Public Administration (BA) Major Online
• Northern Arizona University– Online Bachelor’s in Public Administration
Anthropology is another easy social science major that investigates how humans and societies have evolved since the Big Bang. Playing Margaret Mead will involve comparative research, but STEM majors will envy your electives. Students attend grad school or become museum techs, surveyors, field assistants, and environmental specialists.
• Athabasca University– Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology Online
• Western Illinois University– Online B.A. in Anthropology
• University of Houston Clear Lake– Anthropology B.S. Online
28. Human Resources
Human resources degrees align to SHRM standards to review 21st-century workforce needs in diverse industries. HR lets “people” persons easily learn what employees want in a field poised for comfortable 10-year growth of 7 percent. Alumni succeed as job analysts, benefits managers, recruiters, mediators, and training specialists.
• Mount Mercy University– Online BBA in Human Resources Management
• Limestone College– Bachelors in Human Resource Management Online
• Metropolitan State University– Online Human Resource Management B.S.
29. Social Work
Social Work is an altruistic human services field started in the 1880s to solve injustices crushing the marginalized. CSWE-accredited programs aren’t difficult, but they don’t rank higher because of the added 150-600 hours of practicum. BSWs may fulfill state licensing for military, palliative, family, addiction, and macro social work jobs.
• Briar Cliff University– Bachelor of Social Work Online
• University of Utah– Online Bachelor of Social Work
• University of Alaska Fairbanks– B.A. in Social Work Online
Geography studies the Earth’s surface and atmosphere to answer questions about our living environment. While it’s not as easy as memorizing capitals, the liberal arts major trades hard STEM courses for atlases. Pointing your compass here offers jobs like cartographer, town planner, landscape designer, conservationist, and travel agent.
• South Dakota State University– Online Geography (B.S.) Degree
• Kennesaw State University– Bachelor of Arts in Geography Online
• Marshall University– Online BA/BS in Geography Program