Graphic design is one of the most versatile art degrees since they qualify graduates for a large number of different professions. Colleges and universities have taken notice of the burgeoning field and are increasingly investing into their graphic design degree programs. Consequently, there are a wide range of great graphic design schools with an assortment of degrees for prospective students to choose from. Before prospective students are ready to decide what programs to apply to, they should consider their educational priorities, such as:
- Career Goals: There are various graphic design specialties that are offered in degree programs, such as Print Media, Typography and Calligraphy, and Mobile Application Design, so having a specific career in mind will help you find the program with the right curriculum.
- Location: Silicon Valley offers the most tech jobs and schools in the area will provide great networking opportunities if you want to go away to school. However most public colleges and universities offer great rates for in-state students, so attending a school close to home is often the most financially prudent decision.
- Price: Colleges and universities vary greatly in cost per credit hour, but your tuition rate can be decreased by schools that offer great financial aid packages. Most colleges and universities offer their own scholarships as well, so prospective students should be sure to use all of the financial resources available to them.
- Midway University: Founded in 1847, and located in Midway, Kentucky, Midway University offers unique graphic design degrees for graduates looking to enter the field of marketing. Students can earn a bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design with a specialty in Marketing Communications on campus or 100% online. Tuition for the 2017-18 school year came out to $22,950, for both in-state and out-of-state students, and 97% of students received some form of financial aid.
- Champlain College: Founded in 1878 and located in Burlington, Vermont, Champlain College offers a hands-on graphic design program that has students working on projects as soon as they begin their curriculum. Their BFA in Graphic Design and Digital Media can be paired with Master’s degree to make graduates highly employable. Tuition for the 2017-18 school year came out to $39,818, though 99% of students received financial aid.
- Virginia Commonwealth University: Established in 1968, and located in Richmond, Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University is a large public university with great options for graphic designers. The university offers both BFA and MFA programs for graphic designers that are designed to land graduates great employment opportunities. Tuition for the 2017-18 school year came out to $13,624 for in-state students, and $33,656 for out-of-state students, though 81% of students received some form of financial aid.
Once you have determined your priorities, the next step is to find the program that matches your expectations. Fortunately, there are many conglomerate lists available for prospective students to reference. If you are ready to search for graphic design schools, be sure to check out our ranking of the Top 30 Best Bachelor’s in Graphic Design. Some of the schools that rank in the top 30 graphic design bachelor degrees include:
If any of the schools that made our list of the Top 30 Best Bachelor’s in Graphic Design might be the best place for you to learn to become a graphic designer, be sure to visit their website to request more information.