Graphic design is the fastest growing discipline of visual arts, and schools are increasingly investing into their graphic design programs. There are a wide range of great graphic art schools around the United States, but the best program will be the one that matches the particular expectations of each individual applicant. Prospective students should consider their priorities, whether they be:
- Career Advancement, if a graphic design degree qualify you for a promotion or new job.
- Industry Networking, if you want to make connections within the field of graphic design.
- Technical Affluence, if you want to hone your skills with Adobe, Corel, or other graphic design software.
Once you have considered your educational priorities, the next step is to find the program that is the best match for you. Fortunately, there are many national rankings of graphic design programs for you to reference. You should be sure to check out our list of the Top 30 Best Bachelor’s in Graphic Design, which takes into account:
- Cost per credit hour, to ensure that the school is offering competitive pricing for their degrees.
- Student-to-teacher ratio, to ensure that students receive attention from professors.
- National Accreditation, to ensure that the school is providing quality educational experiences that are recognized by employers.
- Degrees Offered, to ensure students can find the particular program that best meets their academic expectations.
Some of the graphic design schools that rank highest based on our criteria include:
- Carnegie Mellon University: Coming in at number one on our list, Carnegie Mellon is a private research university based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that is renowned both for its computer science and art programs. The university’s School of Design offers Bachelor of Design (B.Des) degrees in three tracks: industrial, graphic, or physical/digital, as well as graduate graphic design degrees. Total tuition for the 2017-18 school year came out to $53,910, with 60% of students receiving financial aid.
- UCLA: The University of California Los Angeles is a public research institution that offers a wide range of design degrees for students to choose from. The university’s department of Design Media Arts offers multidisciplinary bachelor degrees and master degrees (MFA) that prepare students to create engaging media. The university’s School of Arts and Architecture offers graduate degrees to students looking to take their design skills to the next level. Tuition for the 2017-18 school year came out to $13,261 for in-state students, and $41,275 for out-of-state students.
- University of Florida: The University of Florida’s School of Art and Art History offers undergraduate BFA in Graphic Design, and a graduate MFA in Art with a concentration in Graphic Design. The programs are offered in studio and classroom environments where students foster creativity and innovation through collaboration. The programs at UF are a great deal, as tuition for the 2017-18 school year came out to $6,381 for in-state students, and $28,659 for out-of-state students, and 94% of students received some form of financial aid.
If any of the schools on our list of the Top 30 Best Bachelor’s in Graphic Design interest you, be sure to visit their website to request more information.